If you live in Chicago and are searching for a way to pay for college, the Daniel Murphy’s Scholarship may be a possibility for you.
High school students who face financial hardships from their families and live in Chicago are eligible for financial assistance through the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund.
It is the mission of the Daniel Murphy Scholarship to have a positive impact on the lives of worthy young people, their families, and the communities in which they reside.
ABOUT DANIEL MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation was established in 1989 by a group of friends and family members in Chicago consisting of two Chicago-based brothers.
Educating the next generation of leaders and role models from varied backgrounds is the goal of the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund provides financial access to college preparatory high schools students and also to promising young women and men.
When the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation teamed up with a few high schools back in 1990, it granted four high school scholarships to economically challenged students with the greatest academic futures possible.
A total of 125 new Scholarships are given out each year to 8th grade students by the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation. Until now, 2,440 kids in Chicago have received college scholarships.
ABOUT THE DANIEL MURPHY’S SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund aims to help kids from economically and financially disadvantaged homes attend high school in Chicago.
In order to create a lasting impact on its Scholars’ lives, the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund provides them with the greatest chance to succeed in high school and college.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation is based in Chicago and coordinates Scholarship programs in Chicago, United States of America only.
- 8th graders in Chicago are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Students outside Chicago are not eligible to apply.
DMSF SCHOLARSHIP WORTH.
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship worth varies each year. From indications, the Daniel Murphy Scholarship is between the range of $500 and $2,000.
THE DANIEL MURPHY’S SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION ELIGIBILITY.
To be an eligible candidate for the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation, you must:
- Have academic potential, strong character, and financial needs.
- Love in Chicago or near Cicero or Berwyn to qualify for the scholarship.
- Students who live in other communities are not allowed for the scholarship.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE DANIEL MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP.
There are criteria to be eligible for the scholarship.
Selected students scholarships must also meet the following criteria:
- Applicants that demonstrate academic potential, strong character, and financial need
- He or she has received in the 6th and 7th grades, as well as through test scores
- Families whose annual incomes are under $65,000
- Any Chicago 8th grade student
To apply for the scholarship, candidates must follow these steps
- Take the appropriate school admissions test(s).
- Apply to one or more DMSF partnership schools.
- Be admitted to a DMSF partnership school.
- Sign a scholarship confirmation agreement.
- Register at the school by the school’s deadline.
- Complete the school’s financial aid forms by the school’s deadline and receive financial aid from the school.
- Mail a copy of the school’s acceptance letter and financial aid award letter to DMSF.
- Attend DMSF’s mandatory two-week summer program.
- Sign a DMSF scholarship contract.
HOW TO APPLY
- The application for The Daniel Murphy Scholarship can be completed over several days or weeks. Click here to begin.
- To save what you have already entered on the application website, click on “save my progress and resume later.” to finish up your application.
- You will generate a username and password, which you can use to resume working on the application at a later date.
You should note that:
- No application can be submitted until it has been fully completed.
- Once your application has been submitted, your teachers and guidance counselor/principal will receive an email asking them to complete a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Letter of recommendations is required from:
- Your 7th grade English/Language Arts teacher
- Your 7th grade Math teacher
- Your principal or school counselor.
Your teachers will be contacted to obtain the recommendations.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE DANIEL MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION.
To complete the application, candidates are required to attach documents concerning your family’s finances.
Please attach any and all of the following, if you have them:
- The 2018 state and federal income tax returns (Form 1040) of both applicants’ parents, as well as other adults who live in applicants’ home (including all schedules)
- 2018 W-2 Forms from applicant’s parents and other adults who live in applicant’s home
- Documentation of non-taxable income (child support, public assistance, disability, social security income, etc.)
Applications will be available at the beginning of August each year. The Latest dates for the award will be updated here as soon as possible.
- HOW DO I APPLY?
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship‘s application is entirely online. The application requires students to write two essays and complete a short answer questionnaire, provide contact information for a 7th grade English/Language Arts teacher, 7th grade Math teacher, and guidance counselor or principal who will submit recommendation forms on the student’s behalf, and also requires parents to provide detailed financial information. Parents will need to scan and upload proof of income (i.e. All forms 1040 and W2).
- WHO IS AN ELIGIBLE CANDIDATE FOR THE DANIEL MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP?
Candidates that demonstrate academic potential, strong character and financial need are the best candidates for The Daniel Murphy Scholarship.
- CAN THE SCHOLARSHIP BE APPLIED TO ANY SCHOOL?
The Daniel Murphy Scholarship only applies to DMSF partner schools. Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation retains the right to limit the scholarship award to a specific school or schools.
- WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS IF I AM AWARDED A DMSF SCHOLARSHIP?
Scholarship awards are not final until the applicant completes these steps below:
- Takes the appropriate school admission test(s).
- Applies to one or more of Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation’s partner schools.
- Signs a scholarship confirmation agreement.
- Registers at the school by the school’s deadline.
- Completes the school’s financial aid forms by the school’s deadline and receives financial aid from the school.
- Mails a copy of the school’s financial aid award letter to Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation.
- Attends Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation’s mandatory two week summer program.
- Signs a Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation’s scholarship contract
Read more: Daniels Murphy’s Scholars
DANIEL MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION PARTNERING SCHOOLS
Here are lists of the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation partnering schools you can apply to to enjoy your Scholarship privilege.
- Partner Day Schools
- Beacon Academy
- Chicago Academy for the Arts
- Chicago Hope Academy
- Chicago Waldorf School
- Christ the King Jesuit
- Providence St. Mel School
- Roycemore School
- St. Ignatius College Prep
- St. Laurence High School
- The University of Chicago Laboratory School
- Brother Rice
- Mount Carmel High School
- Northridge Prep School
- Notre Dame College Prep
- St. Patrick High School
- St. Rita of Cascia High School
- Hanna Sacks Bais Yaakov High School
- Josephinum Academy
- Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School
- Regina Dominican High School
- Trinity High School
- Partner Boarding Schools
- Shattuck-St. Mary’s School
- St. Andrew’s School
- St. George’s School
- St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy
- St. Mark’s School
- St. Paul’s School
- Stevenson School
- Wasatch Academy
- Wayland Academy
- The Webb Schools
- Western Reserve Academy
- The Church Farm School
- Upper Canada College
- Emma Willard School
- Garrison Forest School
- Miss Porter’s School
- Woodlands Academy
With the support of the Daniel Murphy Scholarship, students in Chicago with financial and economic hardships may pursue their educational goals.
Recipients may attend any of the Daniel Murphy Scholarship-affiliated institutions.
As part of the application procedure, applicants must submit all necessary papers electronically and on time.
Every year, the Daniel Murphy Scholarship begins accepting applications in August. The application deadline will be announced on their official website.