Henry Luce Foundation has opened a scholarship opportunity for Luce eligible scholars to be part of the Luce scholarship program.
If you are a senior, graduate, or young professional that is 30 years of age and a citizen of the US or permanent resident, then this is an opportunity for you to become a Luce scholar.
HENRY LUCE FOUNDATION: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
The Henry Luce Foundation was founded by Henry Luce in 1936.
Henry Luce was the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Time Inc. To honor his parents who were missionary educators in China, the foundation was built.
This is to uphold the vision and values of four generations of the Luce family: broadening knowledge and encouraging the highest standards of service and leadership.
As a not-for-profit corporation, the Luce Foundation seeks to bring important ideas to the center of American life, strengthen international understanding, and foster innovation and leadership in academic, policy, religious, and art communities.
The Henry Luce Scholarship Program is a nationally competitive fellowship program launched in 1974 by the Henry Luce Foundation to enhance the understanding of Asia among potential leaders in American society.
The scholarship program provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional placement in Asia for 15-18 Luce Scholars each year in a variety of fields, including but not limited to the arts, journalism, law, medicine, science, public health, environmental studies, and international relations.
The program is one of the best among American-Asian exchanges. It is intended for young leaders who have had limited experience of Asia and who might not otherwise have an opportunity in the normal course of their careers to come to know Asia.
The Henry Luce scholarship program works with seventy-five colleges and universities to nominate their best candidates for awards each year.
HENRY LUCE SCHOLARSHIP PLACEMENT COUNTRIES
Henry Luce scholar can be placed in the following countries or regions: Cambodia, mainland China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.
To be eligible for the Luce Scholarship, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Eligible applicants are required to meet the following requirements.
- Be US citizens or permanent residents;
- Be seniors, graduate students, or young professionals.
- Be 30 years of age or must be 30 by June 20th of the year they enter the program
- Engaged in any major discipline of study except Asian Studies.
- Have limited experience of Asia.
- Must have spent less than an accumulated total of 18 weeks in one or more Luce Scholars placement countries in Asia since graduating from high school
- Have a record of high academic achievement (a GPA of 3.7 or higher is highly recommended)
- Have an outstanding leadership ability.
- A clearly defined career interests with evidence of potential for professional accomplishments.
- Possess personal qualities such as flexibility, adaptability, creativity, humility.
- Openness to new ideas, and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Must be physically fit health so as not to be restricted from working in a foreign environment
The Luce scholarship application requires:
- A personal statement
- A short “open” essay.
- Activities and work experience.
Visit the Luce Scholarship Application page for detailed information.
- Seniors and alumni must apply through the Amherst campus processes.
- Receive guidance from the Office of Fellowships on essays and other materials.
- Submit a recommendation letter on or before the internal deadline.
- Go through an interview by the campus Committee on Student Fellowships, who will decide whom to endorse as Amherst College nominees to the Luce Foundation.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants of the Luce scholarship must first complete an Eligibility Form online. If eligible, the applicant will be prompted to complete the application process. Visit Luce scholarship application guidelines for more information.
The Luce Scholars Program will not be recruiting a cohort for the 2022–2023 year.
Read more: Luce Scholarship application 2022
Henry Luce scholarship is an award opportunity opened to graduates and young professionals in the United States.
To be part of the Luce scholarship program, you must have a defined career interest, open to new ideas, possess leadership ability, and must be physically fit.
Henry Luce scholars can be placed in any of the Luce scholarship placement countries listed above.